Feast for the Second Sylvan Crusade
May 31st, 2003
The Furst Course
Manchet - white bread. One
marked with the traditional cross, for each diner.
Botere - butter.
Spermsye - ricotta cheese blended with
of honey into a spread for bread.
Pikkylls - an assortment of pickled
including Cameline Meat Brewet
Mediterranean olives, accompanied with roasted peas.
- salad of various lettuces & herbs, raisins, oranges, lemons,
& nuts, dressed with red wine vinegar, oil, and a little sugar.
of Cury and Sallets, Humbles, & Shrewsbery Cakes.
- a thick & creamy apple soup. From Harleian MS. 279.
The Second Course
- sautéed cress & chard, tossed with grated Parmesan &
cheeses. From Le Viandier de Taillevent.
- roasted chickpeas & garlic cloves in olive oil. From Forme of
Rostis - roast game hen served with 3 different dipping
Cold Sage Sauce (savory), Cameline Sauce (hot & spicy mustard),
Verjuice (sweet & sour cherry sauce). From Le Viandier de
Entremet for High Table
- a platter of roasted ducks. From Utilis Coquinario.
The Thrid Course
fflesh - a pie of beef, fruits, & nuts, topped with
chicken. From Harleian MS 4016. A Boke of Kokery.
- pears cooked in a white wine date sauce. From Harleian MS 279.
Endored - a cinnamon & honey confection. From Harleian
MS. 279. Leche Vyaundez.
The .iiij. Course of Roial spicerye
Cakes - small delicate cakes flavored with rosewater and
From John Murrell's Delightful daily exercise for ladies and
- small biscuit-like cakes made with cloves & mace. From Thomas
Good Huswife's Iewell (1596).
Wafers - Goode
Cookys in a variety of designs.
Spiced Fruit - orange slices in
© 2003 Gode Cookery